Imagine this…you pull out the Bible, and all your kids groan.
(Honestly, you do too. Deep down.)
It’s a fight every day to read the Bible and make it seem applicable to your child’s life.
They squirm, they roll their eyes 🙄 or they simply wander away. 🏃🏽
Does this happen in your home too? It used to happen in mine! But it doesn’t anymore. (mostly. let’s keep it real!)
It is possible to engage each child in a way that makes their eyes pop with the relevance of Scripture to their daily lives, while letting them be wiggly.
Would you fall over in shock if you kids begged to read the Bible with you?
With the ideas below, you could:
- learn how to engage each child in a way that makes their eyes pop with the relevance of Scripture to their daily lives.
- take that squirminess and put it to good use.
- have your kids beg to read the Bible with you!
That’s not an impossible dream.
All it takes is 2 simple changes in your thought-patterns:
- All kids are created uniquely by God. Squirms and all.
- We can use that uniqueness to help them connect with God in a way that gets their attention.
It can take some creativity though, and that’s where this list comes in. Use it to spark your imagination and help your kids connect with the Bible in a whole new way!
9 ways to read the Bible with your kids
- Act it out
- Draw a picture of what you read
- Draw out a favourite verse in fancy letters
- Pray the passage
- Research it: who wrote it, why did they write it, where does this fit in the bigger story of the Bible?
- Ask it questions: What does this show me about God? Does God want me to do anything in response to this?
- Sing a song about it
- Imagine yourself in the story
- Play it – use Lego, play dough, or other toys to create what you just read
If you’d like to explore this idea further, I have a couple options to help!
1. Sign up for the free printable poster
The poster gives a visual summary of 9 different ways you can read the Bible with your kids. Perfect to hang on the wall wherever you normally read the Bible! Click here to snag the printable.
2. Dive deeper into the 9 ways with my printable workbook.
The book is intended to be used WITH your child (ages 6-12) to help figure out which ways of studying the Bible connect most naturally with them.
It’s kind of like a personality quiz, except it takes a little longer and will have deeper results!
The workbook only takes 1-2 hours in total. You can do it all in one day, or over the course of 9 days! Purchasing the package will also get you the printable poster mentioned above. Click here to learn more!
It’s true, you CAN have fun and engaging teaching times with your kids. And when it becomes fun, it becomes WAY easier to fit into your life! You’ll be more likely to do it because you won’t dread it anymore!
So what are you waiting for? Get started today!